Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What's In An Album Title?

Can an album title indicate the quality of music on a CD? Let's hope not. If so, we are in for some boring, retreaded music for the fall. Just check out some of these album titles: "A Woman Needs", "World Wide Open", "Like A Woman", "Big Dreams & High Hopes", "Everything Comes And Goes","A Guy Like Me", "If I Had My Way", "Keep On Loving You", and "The Long Way Home." There's not a shred of originality in any one of these titles. (Note to female country singers: Album titles including the word "Woman" will not be bought by most men. Don't ask me why, but it just doesn't happen.)

On the other hand, titles like "Dark Horse", "I'm About To Come Alive", "Notes From The Coroner", and "Fight Like A Girl" at least show that an artist is trying to grab your attention with three or four words that haven't been beaten to death. Incidentally, I would pick up these albums whether or not I had heard any of the songs from them.

Does an album title make any difference to you if you've never heard a song from the album? What about if you don't know the artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment